Sunday, April 10, 2011

Moab Spring 2011

Negro Bill Canyon. A great hike.
Negro Bill Canyon
Flat Pass- awesome technical ride
Scary man- "strapped" and burping baby in Arlington, Or. These are the people who voted for GW Bush.
The rig. Headed out of town.


I've neglected the blog for the past few months as my life was mainly consumed by National Boards and figured no one wanted to hear about or see photos of me sitting in front of a computer debating whether to use the word focus or engaged. While I managed to maintain a fairly sane life during this process, I had significantly less free time and when I had free time didn't want to spend it in front of the computer being creative as my creativity was all used up after watching myself on video 15+ times and then trying to figure out how to describe myself as a bad ass teacher who knows what she's doing.

Conveniently we mailed off our National Board's entries the Tuesday before Spring Break. This meant that by the time Friday rolled around Jarred and I were all about a week on our bikes in the sun.

We spent Spring Break in Moab last year and loved the sun and great riding, so rallied some friends together for a trip down this year. Our friend Rob had a camper and offered it up so Jarred, Steve, Marie and I piled into Rob's Suburban (which should be called gas hog as it ate up the gas).

We intended to go to Fruita, Colorado and Moab but the weather in Fruita was less than desirable so we stayed in Moab the entire time which allowed for us to get in more rides and do some more exploring.

Highlights of the trip:

1. Porcupine Rim. We rode it twice. The first time Steve and I had five flats between the two of us. Lesson learned, I ditched the tubes and Steve changed his tires, the second time we rode the 20 miles in under two hours. FUN.

2. Watching large man taco his tire on Porcupine Rim. Kudos to those who have guts to jump but this guy didn't have enough guts. After watching Jarred, Steve and Rob hit a decent sized jump, he decided to try it for himself but with a little less gumption, hence the wheel that became a taco. I also enjoyed watching Rob and Steve stand on the guys wheel so he could ride the remaining 12 miles out to the road.

3. Flat Pass. Loved the challenging rock and the beauty.

4. Riding with Marie. Marie is a crazy climber but we're pretty evenly paced. I don't ride with too many girls and it's nice to find a girl who likes hard rides.

5. The sun. We've had nothing but rain here and nothing beats sticky rock and sun.


Now it's back to work and the real world. Only two more months until summer though and then the fun begins again! Lots more photos on facebook.



No comments: