Friday, October 10, 2008

The Mazda Wheelbarrow


Since Colleen asked, and I have computer time, I thought I'd explain the Mazda wheelbarrow that Jarred purchased at the end of the summer. Photos to follow.


In the last few years, Jarred has decided that his financial goal is to live debt free (minus a mortgage). To reach his goal, Jarred decided to analyze his finances to see where he could eliminate debt. Since Jarred went to posh-posh UPS, he'll be paying for his education until he's 90. A little extra work this summer eliminated the small credit card bill he had. Now he was close to his goal, but one dark financial cloud still loomed over his financial world....our beautiful silver Jetta TDI wagon with a veggie conversion kit. With the price of gas these days, TDI's are a hot commodity (they get a whopping 50 mpg). So, after some research, Jarred found that he would be able to sell our Jetta for about $1000 less than we bought it for AFTER putting 73000 miles on it. Whoever hears of cars appreciating and not depreciating?



After finding a buyer, Jarred began to look for a more "affordable" car. This meant a car he could purchase without obtaining a loan or much of one. From past experience, we realized that Jarred probably needed a small truck or something that he could drive to various off-road places. While he takes care of the car's running parts, Jarred isn't really into aesthetics, like I am. As he began his search, I had visions of a cute little Toyota pick-up or smaller SUV. I was working in Idaho at the time and sent over craigslist postings of what I was looking for. Apparently, Jarred had other ideas about what he wanted to purchase.



One day while I was working, I get a call that Jarred is going to go to Portland to look at cars. I quickly provided my suggestions and vehicle desires and also reminded him of my number one desire. I DIDN'T WANT A TEAL VEHICLE. I hate the color teal, and the thought of driving a teal vehicle, really bothered me. After this CLEAR reminder, I wished him luck and hung up.



Not an hour later, I get another call. Jarred purchased a truck. A Mazda truck. A TEAL Mazda truck. I actually don't remember being that mad about anything in a long time. For some reason, I just could not fathom WHY Jarred would ignore my needs and purchase a TEAL truck. I was disgusted and curtly hung up on him.



So, for the past two months now, we've been commuting in a TEAL Mazda truck that makes a few noises, has cheap tires from Wal-Mart, no working gas gauge, numerous scratches and plastic hub cabs. Not to mention we have to keep a bottle of Febreeze handy for when the smell gets overpowering. The selfish, cynical part of me wants the damn thing to die, but it just chugs along. It now has a white PVC bike rack in the back, to add insult to injury to my feelings about aesthetics. The bike rack is awesome, just ugly.



I own a F250 Diesel truck that can haul just about anything. Since the Mazda has a bed, we'd kind of assumed that it too could haul just about anything also. However, we've come to realize, after moving wood and other heavy objects, that the Mazda REALLY operates much like a large wheelbarrow. In fact, I've opted to use our wheelbarrow instead of the truck a couple of times.



Jarred is tickled with his new financial freedom but we're no longer riding in style.



1 comment:

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

Thanks for the info - I'm been wondering about that wheelbarrow... love to hear your stories they are always the best! Can't wait to see the pics.