Monday, October 27, 2008

Small Hitters

What to do with a half an acre of grass? We've been wondering this since moving into our house in North Bonneville. Aside from digging it all up or spending thousands on trees, we've drawn a blank. All of our neighbors seem to love to mow as they also
have large lots with lots of grass.
I hate to mow and refuse to buy
a riding mower despite the fact that it takes me one and a half hrs to mow the law. This weekend changed everything and now our yard has a purpose.

Jarred and I have been having a great time mountain biking this fall. We've been wanting to visit Post Canyon which is just outside of Hood River. Post Canyon is what we like to call a "big hitter" area. "Big hitters" are mountain bikers who throw themselves off of huge jumps, ride crazy logs and teeter-totters. Jarred and I are not "big hitters" we have cross country bikes, not made for jumping. I have to admit, I wasn't too excited about trying the obstacles, they looked downright scary. Jarred couldn't get enough of the obstacles though despite the fact that yes, his collarbone is still broken. By the time we left, both of us were hooked. We decided that we needed to go home and make our own "small hitter" course. This is what we've come up with so far. I know, I know, not too impressive, especially after you've gone on youtube and typed in Post Canyon. We look like a bunch of weenies. But hey, it's a start. And now our yard has a purpose.




5 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

Your yard is beautiful. Demian would be jealous! Have fun with your course!

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

The yard does look great! How about getting some pygmy goats to eat the grass rather than mowing?

Gina Lillie said...

I love Colleen's goat idea. I think goats are cute, especially the pygmy ones. Go for it!

Noni said...

Great use of the yard . .pygmy goats may not be such a good option. I'm told they are obnoxious little creatures who love to butt you every chance they get.

S and J said...

So much for our mtn. bike cross country course, it's rained all week and we now have a lake in our back yard. Maybe we'll buy some small rafts?

I've brought the muck boots out for the season. Jarred even contemplated riding his bike in them the other day.