Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Gift That Never Stops Giving

Since this is the season of giving, I thought I'd pass this video along.
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It squealched any idea I had about Christmas shopping, not that I've really done any yet, anyway, but it reiterated my belief that Americans need to change their views about consumption. I am a recent Costco member and while I love only shopping once a month, I despise the amount of plastic Costco uses. EVERYTHING they sell comes in plastic and what gets me more is that even the small stuff, like batteries (we just bought some rechargeable ones), are encased in a large plastic container. I go back and forth between being the green shopper and sticking to Whole Foods and being the convenience shopper and reveling in the large amounts of food I can buy at Costco. This video made me feel guilty about shopping at Costco. That guilt might not be a bad thing.



Enjoy and try to be a conscience consumer this Holiday Season!

2 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

This is exactly why we got Atticus a Zoo Membership for Christmas. We won't have to throw it out after a year, and it didn't take anyting to make it.

S and J said...

What a cool thing to do....check out this website etsy...it's all things handmade. Kinda hippie like but there's some cool stuff on there.