Sunday, January 11, 2009

Fun With Facial Hair




I don't know if it's the onset of winter or the fact that puberty had hit and some kids can now grow bits of facial hair, but I've recently noticed many odd facial hair trends lately. My little freshmen can't even focus on facial hair yet, they're just excited they can wear deodorant and seem to slather themselves with Axe hourly. But as I walk through the halls, I have the pleasure of seeing various phases of facial hair growth. Last week's sighting topped all of them. I wish I could take photos of students to post on my blog but alas, you must depend on my description. This kid clearly had not yet developed the ability to grow any hair on his face, but his upper neck appeared to be much ahead in the adolescent development department. I've noticed in observing facial hair lately that some people grow tight curly beards (as Jarred's above) while other's tend to grow long straight hairs, as this kid had. They were just dangling from his lower chin and neck. As I observed his manliness I wondered whether this kid was taking himself seriously. I knew if I was his teacher, I'd have a hard time taking him seriously. I do think facial hair is a very serious aspect of a teenagers life. Once the novelty of growing pubic hair on one's face wears off, the fun begins. This seems to be the point at which many spend a week or two brandishing a full beard only to sculpt a mean mustache or some serious chops. At times I am a bit jealous of the instant and fun hair growth and begin to think that women take their hair way too seriously.





Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

Demian has the ability to grow a beard like a brick on his chin. I call it the Amish Beard. I kinda dig it. He thinks it makes him look homeless.

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

Matt currently is sporting a beard as well but his takes much longer to grow making him reluctant to trim it which makes me crazy! I don't mind the facial hair just the one or two random long straight hairs among the others...