Monday, January 26, 2009

The Gift that Keeps on Giving

 
I've decided that the best gifts are the gifts that keep on giving. Last week, I received a package in the mail from Colleen. Before I'd even begun to open the thing, I knew it was a re-gift, something I'd seen before, something that I'm sure Gina and Carrie had both received. I racked my brain for all the items we'd passed around over the years; I knew Carrie and Colleen had a birthday card they never signed but passed back and forth, during our freshmen year, we'd come across a ball of something that resembled a booger and passed it back and forth for months, perhaps Colleen had come across another booger, or had been saving the booger for the past 10 or so years (yes, Colleen, I can imagine you doing this). As I ripped open the package, out came the Tonight/Not Tonight pillow. Of course, I'd forgotten all about it as I'd not yet been the recpient of the pillow but had seen it re-gifted. Upon Colleen's request and my love for re-gifts, I decided to tell the story of the Tonight pillow. I also ask that if anyone has a great re-gift story (Meghan, you need to tell the story of the baby leg-it's the best I've seen so far) to pass it along and I will post it.

The Tonight Pillow

The Tonight pillow first entered Colleen's life two Christmas's ago. Her father-in-law gave it to her. Colleen will have to explain their relationship...I'm not quite sure why she received a sex pillow from her father-in-law (unless it was a hint that Colleen and Matt needed to have more babies???), but never-the-less, there it was. Being prime re-gift material, Colleen conveniently left it on Gina's bed one day. Gina's husband, Demian found it, commented on its tackiness and off it went to Carrie's house, as a present for Carrie's new baby...Gina, you're twisted. Carrie tried to get it back to Colleen, but Colleen, having much experience with re-gifts, quickly got it back to Gina just before Gina had Atticus. While at Colleen's white elephant gift exchange this year Gina and Carrie hid it in Colleen's bed, where it stayed until I recieved it. I did think it odd that Jarred was totally excited about the pillow and sad to find out that one day it would have to be re-gifted.

So while the Tonight pillow has made it's rounds, I'm sure many of you have great re-gift stories...bring 'em on!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Noni said...

I love the picture of Shuksan, what an expression!!

Gina Lillie said...

Here is a funny part to that story. The night of the White Elephant Party, I hid the pillow in Colleen's room. Later that night I picked my White Elephant Gift. It was that damned pillow. I thought Colleen had found it. Instead Matt's sister Jennifer had brought the same pillow as her W.E. gift. I just happened to pick that one. I re-gifted it at another party the next weekend.

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

Be scared while cleaning out my spare bedroom closet I did happen upon some regift items you may not remember... maybe they will be coming your way soon...

Gina Lillie said...

EWWW, I hope Colleen doesn't send you the 4 tortilla chips stuck together that we kept for so long. Gross

S and J said...

Wow! I forgot about all those chips...what became of those...and you know, it's been awhile since I've seen 4 tortilla chips.

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

Seems like you have been too 'busy' since you received the pillow to blog much... perhaps you'll have time 'tonight'!

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

Last I saw that chip it was in Sarah's backpack - I bet Sarah and Jarred ate it on one of their adventures!

Carl Z said...

"SEX PILLOW" ?????????????? That's it! I gotta weigh-in on this one. Glad to see that Jarred liked the pillow, obviously it was wasted on my girls, and can only be truly appreciated by a "real man" !!! Re-gifting daddy's gift ???????? Doesn't sound like a very smart move to me - likely to "come back to bite ya in the butt" At least ONE of my girls is smarter than that. I bought THREE pillows while vacationing in Seaside, Oregon. Colleen and Jennifer both received the infamous "Tonight / Not Tonight" pillow, and Anne received the "Men, Coffee and Chocolate / The Richer the Better" pillow - HEY ! she's single, 21, still in college, and "my baby" - ya think I'm gonna give her a "sex pillow" :-(
Colleen's Father-In-Law