Monday, May 4, 2009

When People Become Numbers

I don't consider myself old but I can't help but see a trend in the thirty or so years that I've been around. I see people becoming numbers. At the bank, we're known by our account number. We have pin numbers, social security numbers, copy numbers, I'm even given a number at a horse show. Last week at Costco, Jarred and I had to take a number to see the optometrist. The realization hit again today when I was informed that I would not have a job at Camas High School next year. The reasoning? Numbers.
As many of you know (may not agree but know), George W. and his administration fucked the economy. Not only has this affected retail owners and the mortgage business but it's also drastically affected education. In my district alone, we are looking at $1.7 million in cuts. That number includes cuts to three elementary schools, two middle schools and one high schools. And when the school board and district administrators look at what to cut, they look at numbers. They look at the number of students entering high school, they look at the number of students enrolled in classes, they look at the number of teachers staffing a building. They look at the number of years each of those staff have taught. They look at the number of support staff...and then they start cutting.
I think the school board and district administrators would like us to believe that they look at the people who teach in their classrooms and examine the quality of education those people are providing, the students who sit in the desks and the needs of those students, the para-educators who aid those students needing extra help. But they don't. They always go back to numbers. I could have had twelve letters of recommendation stating that I was a tremendous teacher, but it still goes back to numbers.
This afternoon, as I was being told that there may be a possibility that I could apply for a potential opening and that I was really valued at Camas but it all came down to the number of incoming freshmen and the current number of English teachers. Numbers, that word came back to haunt me.
Ayn Rand was a smart lady. She knew what she was talking about when she wrote Anthem. As I sit here listening to the rain wondering where I will be teaching next year, I can’t help but wonder when we will no longer be known by our individual names but numbers and realize I can see that day coming soon as even the people who educate today’s youth are viewed as a number and not a quality individual who has the patience and gift to connect with those they teach. Where have we gone wrong and how long will money continue to be the driving force in our society?

On a side note: I took the job at Camas knowing I was on a one-year contract. I replaced a woman who took a leave of absence to have her fourth or fifth child. She did decide to not come back, but because of numbers, it was decided that the position was no longer needed. So, yes, I did know that there would be a possibility that I would not have a job next year. But I am the continuous optimist and once I realized that I really liked and fit in at Camas, I figured my job would turn into a continuing contract. Lesson learned? Screw optimism.

2 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

I'm sorry to hear this news. I can't figure out how we are to raise the "future" with out teachers to educate them. I guess we will just leave it up to MTV.

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

So sorry to hear this... I hope Jarred's job isn't being eliminated so he can be your sugar daddy...