Saturday, March 20, 2010

Camas House




We're finally moved into the Camas house. We moved all of of our stuff over from North Bonneville in one weekend but since the weather has been so nice, it's taken a little longer to get things put away. The house still needs some love and our list of projects is growing but it's a very livable place. My favorite part of the house is the built in storage. Each room has built in closets and drawers of some sort and since I'm a neat freak, I feel like everything I own has its place and Jarred has no excuses to create piles everywhere. Since I've been in list mode...

Great things about our new house situation:
1. The kitchen has potential to be awesome. Last weekend we drove (that's right, 20 minutes) to Ikea and oogled over kitchens. I've always wanted a kitchen with a big bar counter and this place has one. Granted right now, the counter is bad, bad, almond colored Formica, but that can be fixed.
2. As I mentioned before built in storage EVERYWHERE. LOVE IT!
3. Small yard with good garden potential.
4. Two car garage. Never thought it really mattered but it does. This house is the same size as our other house but with a two car garage. We've come to realize we have more garage items than house items.
5. Fenced yard. While I feel bad that the dogs have a smaller yard, I learned that the dogs really don't use much of a big yard and not having a fence gets dogs like Shuksan hit by cars and dog tickets.
6. Jarred has his own pooping bathroom. Not a necessity in life but sure is nice.

Not so great things about our new house (but things that can be changed):
1. House needs to be painted and fake shutters removed. Why people ever put shutters as "accents" on the outside of a house is beyond me.
2. Big ass fireplace in the middle of the dining room/living room. We're lovers of the wood stove and to us, fireplaces are a waste of space. This one is HUGE and puts out absolutely no heat. I think it's the first thing Jarred will tear down, which should make for an interesting project.
3. Every room has BAD lighting. The bedrooms have huge ceiling fan units which made us think that these huge units would put off a lot of light....wrong. They put off mood lighting. I can't even see what color socks I'm putting on in the morning.
4. It appears that for years the washer hook up has been leaking. This makes for wet sub flooring and a ghetto laundry room set up. Will be the first thing I change if/when we buy this place.
5. The front door doesn't really shut. I'm not sure why but unless it's locked, it's not shut which means that I often walk out and leave the door open while I'm gone. Luckily we live in a safe neighborhood?

All in all we're sooo glad we moved. It's really been a lifestyle change, a much needed one.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

Can't wait see all the before and after shots.

Noni said...

Thx for the pictures Sarah, anxious to see the place. Looks great & YEAH!!! for a fence for the dogs. No more car/dog injuries.