Monday, December 27, 2010

THIS PLACE IS MAGICAL


I was just reading a post from Sarah and noticed that she commented on how much she loves where we live. I think this is worthy of note as she and I seem to be constantly on the move, literally. We haven't lived in one house for more than 2 years since we've been together (10 years!) and we have just now lived in SW Washington for just over 4 years, definitely a record for us. So I think it's worth mentioning that this area is amazing. I don't mean Vancouver and all it's big box store crustiness. I mean the Columbia River Gorge and all that surrounds it. I've been kayaking on some new rivers in OR lately and have been amazed by the beauty of the canyons! Each time I drive home through the Gorge after being elsewhere I'm reminded of how unique this area is and how magical it seems to me. I don't buy into nymphs and all that hoopla, but if there's a spirit out there somewhere enlivening the Earth and the living beings on it, that spirit most assuredly spends part of the year in the area surrounding the Columbia River Gorge. People have tried their best to ruin the Gorge with large cities around Portland, dams every 50 or so miles, power lines stretching as far as the eye can see, freeways and roads lining the lowlands, and yet it's still one of the most amazingly beautiful places I've ever seen.

If you need some time away from home come down for a visit. It's the rainy season but the mysticism is still alive, even more so in some regards as it's the rain that brings the beauty!

Take Care, hopefully you love where you live! If not, move!

No comments: