Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Oklahoma, Where Horse People Go Crazy

The girls with Cash.
Mike the groom and awesome travel partner!
I think we all have that one hobby, the one we can nerd out on for hours and even days on end. It's the hobby that often makes those close to us question or sanity at times. For me, it's horses. I can spend hours at a horse show- watching the classes, people warming their horses up for their next class or just visiting with other crazy friends discussing....horses. Of course, showing at a horse show is even better but I've not gotten to do any of that this past year. I think I needed a good horse show fix- so when Lindsey's (in photo) sister, Brittany decided to enter her horse in the non-pro futurity this year, it was a perfect excuse for me to buy a ticket and spend four days nerding out at a horse show. For those of you long-term blog followers, you will remember that Lindsey and I made the trek to Oklahoma together a few years ago. I've since sold Nic and Lindsey is now at Texas A&M riding on their equestrian team. Lindsey actually purchased the mare her sister was riding when her and I were down in OKC together. Cash and Sophie made the long trip home together, both convinced at the time they'd rather kill themselves than live up north. Fortunately, they made it alive and Cash proved to be ready for the futurity so when Brittany purchased her from Lindsey, she committed to the show.
I have to say it was much more fun showing in OKC but watching was great- I had no classes to worry about and was free to sit for hours watching or shopping, or watching or shopping (bought some sweet ostrich boots). I most defiantly got my horse fix as I think I watched six hours of showing one afternoon. It was great to watch Brittany show and especially great that she made the finals (there are hundreds of competitors so Brittany had to show in one other class to qualify for the finals in her division- competition was tough!). While I was envious of the fact that she was gutsy enough to show a three year old, I also realized that showing such a young horse is so hit and miss. They're young and for the most part fairly green, so there are always surprises. I don't think I'll ever strive to have a futurity horse but the Derby (4,5,6 yrs) sounds good!

2 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

Learn something new every day.I had no idea that universities had equestrian teams. How awesome.

S and J said...

It's actually really cool. It's a PAC 10 girls sport. Lindsey is on a full ride scholarship to Texas- so basically, she rides and they pay for her school. Not a bad deal.