Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Birding


Like blogging, birding is also one of those words that has become a verb even though it probably should not be. Jarred loves birds and he is always pointing out bird when we ride bikes or drive somewhere. I think the obsession started when we lived in Idaho. The first year we lived in Sun Valley we actually rented a place in Fairfield which is about an hour from Sun Valley. The place we rented was cheap and the horse facility was great BUT it was an hour from Sun Valley which is where all our friends lived. Not long after moving out to Fairfield, our friend Nate asked Jarred why we chose to move to Fairfield. Jarred concocted a small list which included, "Plus the birds of prey are freaking awesome." I'd never noticed the birds of prey being exceptionally awesome in Fairfield but with all the time we spent driving, Jarred had taken notice of them. I think he'll probably get into birding with his other biking friends when they're all old and broken. A few months ago we were on a ride with our friend, Cage (the name says it all) . Cage is an exceptional biker, he grew up riding motocross and can hop his bike around and up and down all sorts of obstacles. He does not strike me as the birding type. As we rode along one day, Cage suddenly stops, points up the hill and says, "Look guys there's a blue breasted blah blah blah (or something of the sort)." Jarred and I look at each other and laugh as I'm always making fun of him for pointing out birds.

Our backyard is full of flowering trees and bushes which have attracted these two hummingbirds. Even I get excited when they visit. They're pretty hard to catch on camera and while I've been "helping" Jarred with the remodel of our laundry room, I've had some down time to sit and wait for the birds to come.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Gina Lillie said...

Hummingbirds are my favorite. They are all over where my mom lives. If you stand still long enough they will fly right up to you.